We are now accepting applications for the 2020 Summer Fellowship. For details and to apply visit this page.
About the Fellowship
The Othering & Belonging Institute (formerly the Haas Institute) Summer Fellowship is a three-month-long, part-time, 20-hour per week paid research experience. The purpose of the fellowship is to prepare and engage with the next generation of researchers and future community leaders who are committed to social and racial justice by providing mentorship and hands-on experience with social science research. The fellowship runs from May 18 to August 14, 2020, and takes place at the Othering & Belonging Institute office on the UC Berkeley campus. All summer fellows are expected to fully participate in the Fellowship and work from the Institute office for the full 14-week program.
During the fellowship, summer fellows will be oriented to Othering & Belonging Institute's research methods and frameworks and receive mentorship in qualitative and/or quantitative research to develop research outcomes independently. In addition to independent work on assigned summer projects, fellows will explore pressing social justice issues as a cohort by participating in bi-weekly workshops and collaboratively organizing a local field trip to engage with issues and stakeholders in the field.
Summer fellows will dedicate most of their paid work hours to their individual summer projects. Each fellow will be paired with a lead researcher to work on a predetermined summer-long project for a specific program area. Summer projects will primarily involve independent online work on applied and policy-oriented research; background research (such as literature reviews, case studies, background memos, etc.); support of ongoing research (such as data analysis or writing support for reports, discussion papers, journal articles, or book chapters); drafting of materials for public education (such as visuals for presentations or publications); and other research tasks as assigned.
Each summer fellow will be matched with one of the following programs based on alignment between their skills, experience, interests, and each program’s project needs:
- Atlantic Fellows for Racial Equity: literature review & workshop curriculum development on anti-Black racism
- California Community Partnerships: policy research & data analysis on a Green New Deal for Richmond, CA
- Civic Engagement Narrative Change: analysis of quantitative data sources on elections & the electorate
- Equity Metrics: literature review on topics related to fair housing & access to opportunity
- Global Justice: data collection & analysis on climate refugees
- Housing Policy: policy research on remedies for racial residential segregation
- Just Public Finance: research & data collection for case studies on water sovereignty & corporate power
- Othering & Belonging: bibliographic research on topics related to Othering & Belonging
- Othering & Belonging Forum: communications-oriented background research for future O&B conferences
- Strategic Communications: research, interviews, & writing for the Institute's Magazine
About the Institute
The Othering & Belonging Institute at UC Berkeley brings together researchers, community stakeholders, policymakers, and communicators to identify and challenge the barriers to an inclusive, just, and sustainable society to create transformative change. The Othering & Belonging Institute serves as a vibrant network of researchers and community partners advancing research and policy related to marginalized communities, and touching all who benefit from a truly diverse, fair, and inclusive society.